We're always interested in hearing about news in our community. Let us know what's going on!

  • 0

The Columbia (SC) Chapter of the National Coalition of 100 Black Women, Inc. is hosting a Zoom webinar on “Uncovering Facts About Diabetes in the African American Community” on Monday, January 25, 2021 from 7:30-9:00 p.m. The webinar presenter is LaCresha Mitchum, RN, MSN-Ed, CDCES. Please r…

  • 0

Reid Chapel AME Church, located at 704 Gabriel Street, Columbia, S.C. 29203 will have Free COVID-19 Testing in the parking next to the Ruth C. Simon Family Life Center every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 AM-4:00 PM.

  • 0

The Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority (The COMET), in partnership with the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SC DHEC), will provide free COVID-19 tests for passengers of the bus system beginning today.

  • 0

Many people are avoiding in-person doctor’s visits to limit potential exposure to coronavirus -- or are simply ignoring health concerns altogether. However, when it comes to medical emergencies such as stroke, immediate medical attention is critical.

  • 0

Re-Discover ME’s is excited to announce the new release of the “Mental Safety Plan” journal for women. Re-Discover ME’s Mental Safety Plan/Journal is a personalized practical plan that provides solace and restoration for women overwhelmed by stress and mental exhaustion. This book is a great…

  • 0

With the 2020-2021 flu season underway, Richland Library is once again partnering with Walgreens to host free flu shot clinics at several of our locations.

  • 0

South Carolina State University is partnering with the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SC DHEC) to offer free drive-thru COVID-19 testing to the university and Orangeburg community. Testing will be available every Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. …

  • 0

The Elizabeth Dole Foundation and U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs have launched an emergency respite care fund for the family caregivers of wounded, ill, and injured veterans. The program, Respite Relief for Military and Veteran Caregivers, will provide non-medical, no-cost, professional…

  • 0

Prisma Health has launched an aggressive systemwide flu-vaccination campaign with reduced-cost flu vaccinations being offered throughout its physician offices, hospitals, mobile clinics, community outreach, business-health sites or additional flu-vaccine events in 11 counties across the Midl…

  • 0

In October, Prisma Health will be protecting families in the Midlands by providing free flu shots. From October 3 - 31, families in Richland, Lexington, Sumter and Kershaw counties can receive free flu shots at locations throughout the four counties. Richland One’s Lower Richland High School…

  • 0

Midlands Orthopaedics & Neurosurgery, PA is pleased to announce that Drs. Simonne Francis and Jenna Walters joined the practice as of September 2020.

  • 0

Governor Henry McMaster has proclaimed September as Kinship Care Month. During this month SC DSS would like to take the time to recognize advocates who work tirelessly to provide assistance and services to kinship caregiving families.

  • 0

Benedict College and CVS Health today announced the launch of rapid COVID-19 testing on the College’s Columbia campus. CVS Pharmacists and pharmacy employees will staff the testing operation, which will be available at no cost to patients.

  • 0

A recent survey on Blackdoctor.org (BDO) revealed a staggering 58% of the respondents wouldn't take a COVID-19 vaccination as soon as it's available. In addition to 58% saying "no" to the vaccine, 22% reported they would take the vaccine, but had "concerns". In total, 80% of respondents eith…

  • 0

MUSC Health continues to expand COVID-19 testing availability to reach rural and underserved communities across the state through mobile testing and collection sites. These sites are free to patients and do not require an appointment.

  • 0

Recent reports from the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) have confirmed the number of COVID-19 cases to over 74,000, with over 1200 deaths in South Carolina . Critically, to date, little is known about the impact of COVID-19 on survivors. A new study at the Universi…

  • 0

As part of our series on how South Carolina's Historically Black Colleges and Universities deal with the Coronavirus outbreak, this week we are publishing our interview with Dr Leroy Staggers, President of Morris College in Sumter, SC.