Registration for the Columbia Parks and Recreation Department’s Summer Camps Program, which includes weekly camps and a variety of specialty camps, is open for children ages 5 and up. Weekly summer camps will be held from Monday, June 8 through Friday, August 7, 2020.
The Summer Camp program focuses on education through recreation, team building and leadership, creativity and self-expression, physical fitness and decision making. Camps are open to both city residents and non-city residents.
In the Weekly Camps, children will participate in a variety of theme-related crafts and activities. The cost is $55 per week. A one-time activity fee of $55 is due upon registration for weekly camps.
Weekly camps are held from 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. for children ages 5-12 (as of June 1) at the following parks:
· Emily Douglas-2500 Wheat St., 803-733-8531
· Greenview Park- 6700 David St., 803-754-5223
· Hampton Park-1111 Brandon Ave., 803-776-9082
· Heathwood Park- 800 Abelia Rd., 803-733-8446
· Hyatt Park- 950 Jackson Ave., 803-733-8445
· Lorick Park- 1600 Lorick Ave., 803-691-9339
· Martin Luther King, Jr. Park- 2300 Greene St., 803-733-8452
· Melrose Park- 1500 Fairview Rd., 803-733-8493
· Pinehurst Park- 2300 Pinehurst Rd., 803-733-8449
· St. Anna’s Park- 1315 Liberty Hill Rd., 803-733-8450
· Sims Park- 3500 Duncan St., 803-733-8451
· South Edisto (Edisto Discovery Center) Park, 1914 Wiley Street, 803-255-8103
· Woodland Park- 6500 Olde Knight Highway, 803-776-1096
The Parks and Recreation Department offers a Teen Camp for children ages 13-17 at the KMB Booker Washington Heights Community Center located at 2611 Grant Avenue.
The camp runs from June 10 to August 9, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. The cost is $55 per week. A one-time activity fee of $55 is due upon registration.
Sports Camp Children in grades K-6 can participate in a summer Sports Camp held at Martin Luther King, Jr. Park, 2300 Greene Street. The camp is held from 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Friday from June 10 to August 9. The cost is $55 per week. A one-time activity fee of $55 is due upon registration.
The Columbia Tennis Center located at 1635 Whaley Street, is hosting a summer Tennis Camp for children ages 6-14. The camp will focus on stroke production and techniques, drills, match competition and more.
The camp will be held on the following dates from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.:
· June 8-12
· June 22-26
· July 6-10
· July 20-24
The cost of the camp is $55 per week. Applications are available at the Columbia Tennis Center. Registrations will be taken until the first day of camp. For more information, contact the tennis center at 803-733-8440.
The James E. Clyburn Golf Center is hosting a summer golf camp for children ages 8-14 who are interested in improving their golf skills or learning the fundamentals of the game, etiquette and course management. The camp is open to new, intermediate and experienced golfers.
No equipment is needed. The fee to participate is $55 per week.
The camp will be held at the golf center located at 2901 Slighs Avenue from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (drop-off starts
at 8 a.m.) on the following dates:
· June 22-26
· July 20-24
For more information about the summer golf program, contact the Clyburn Golf Center at 803-255-8920.
Let your child explore their creative side through painting, drawing, pottery and more at the Art Center’s summer Art Camp. The camp will be held from June 10 through August 16 for ages 5-16. Sessions will be held at the Art Center, located at 1227 Taylor St., Ste. C. The camp costs $90 per session. Camp is held Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to noon.
Registration is limited to 10 participants per session.
Sessions for ages 5-9
· Session 1: June 8-12: Carnival and Celebrations
· Session 2: June 15-19: Nature Abounds
· Session 5: July 13-17: Pirates Ahoy
· Session 7: July 27-31: How We Move
· Session 8: August 3-7: Around the Corner, Underwater & Outer Space
Sessions for ages 10-16
· Session 4: June 6-10: Pottery Explorations
· Session 6: July 20-24: Pottery Explorations
· Session 9: August 10-14: Outside the Box
Sessions for ages 8-13
· Session 3: June 22-26: Mix It Up: Recycled Art Camp
For more information, contact the Art Center at 803-545-3093.
For more information about the Parks and Recreation Department’s summer programs, call 803-545-3100 or visit the Parks and Recreation Department’s “Summer Camp” page online.